Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Faces of Mountaintop Removal

"This used to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. And now they're destroying it - and it's all for money. I just pray that they stop this mountaintop removal before I have to leave this earth. If they don't stop it there won't be anything left for our young people."

Jim Foster
Bob White, West Virginia



"Everything here is covered in coal dust. They're poisoning our water and our air. All around here is nothing but valley fills and barren land where they've blasted off the mountains. You have to see it to believe it. Our governor should be making them enforce the laws. That's who's failing the people."

Mary Miller
Sylvester, West Virginia


"Our representatives in Washington should be speaking up for us. They know what's happening here, they're not blind. They're part of what's going on. We're being discriminated against. What else do you call it? I own my home but I can't protect my home. What has West Virginia become?"

Pauline Canterberry
Sylvester, West Virginia


"After I quit the mining company I kept thinking about all the shortcuts we took building these sludge dams. I never knew that I was setting up something that could kill these kids and these community members. I made a commitment to do whatever it takes to get them kids out of that school. I don't care who gets mad or how many friends I lose. I don't care. Our kids are special. And they deserve a chance."

Ed Wiley
Rock Creek, West Virginia

These are just a few of our West Virginia people who are suffering from the effects of mountaintop removal. They tell their stories in our new film "Rise Up! West Virginia."

3 comments:

bluemountainmama said...

thanks for posting all these... i only hope their stories will be heard by the right people, who will stand up and do what's right... that is to end MTR!

denny said...

Hi Bj... ran across your blog while surfing. I talk about MTR on my blog all the time. I live on Bolt Mountain and have had the opportunity to visit a couple of MTR sites. One of those being Blue Pennant... just disgusting.

I know a couple of people in this post.

I'm glad I ran across your blog.

Have A Great Day!!!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!